Monday, January 4, 2010

Vidimo Se

The Fulbright is ipso facto exciting, fun, and a highlight of any career. I don't have to explain the incredible thrill that spending an academic year abroad in a country such as Croatia affords me. The news to you, dear reader, comes in the understanding that the people I meet on the trip are in many ways the most rewarding part of this expatriate experience: sure, there are beautiful mountains and old buildings and strange alphabets, but the people with whom I come into contact constitute the lion's share of the Fulbright raison d'ĂȘtre.

Students, colleagues, artists, and random people I encounter in my day-to-day activities all contribute to my absolute enjoyment of Croatia. Larry and Judy Moneta have been two of the high points of my stay here so far (not to imply I'll meet any better down the line . . . I doubt it). Larry is a Student Affairs guru at Duke University and he brought his lovely wife Judy along to make this a joint experience.

Not only did they suck the marrow out of their semester in Europe, filling every day with new adventures and making a real difference to the university system here and in other parts of Eastern Europe, but they also provided a much-needed sanctuary in their apartment for regular Fulbright potlucks . . . so welcoming and generous!

Here they are on one of their many outings:



I know one of the best mementos I'll be bringing back with me is their friendship, and one of the advantages of people over objects is that I'll be able to keep their particular gifts in my memory and heart, and add some potlucks back in the States in the coming years.

Bon Voyage, Larry and Judy, and as we pseudo-Croats say, VIDIMO SE! ("Be Seeing You!")

1 comment: